© 2012 Otis DSC_0602 EDIT RS

Monterey 2012: Part 1 – Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion

The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion is always a highlight of my annual weekend in Monterey. There are very few events where you can see such rare pieces of automotive history doing what they were made to do, race. RMMR always brings a great variety of cars to Laguna Seca and 2012 was no exception.  As usual I’ll let the photos do most of the talking with the occasional interjection.

This years event celebrated the life of Carrol Shelby and as you can imagine, there were Cobras everywhere. Not that that’s a bad thing, Cobras are incredible cars. I’ve never seen so many original Cobras in one place.

BMW was well represented at the event, not only with their race cars, but with classic road cars as well like the above BMW 1800 TiSA.

This year I was extremely fortunate not only to get a media pass to RMMR but a photo vest as well which gained me access to areas of the track that a general admission ticket will not get you.

Being able to get up close with these cars in the  pit-lane before they hit the track in the was an unforgettable experience for me.

It was especially cool to see such antique vehicles as this 1907 Renault hit the track. Anyone with the guts to drive a car like that around Laguna Seca immediately earns my respect.

This 1917 Hall-Scott was another stand-out. If you look closely you can see that this car has leather wrapped leaf springs.

Undoubtedly one of the most beautiful cars in exsistence, there were two examples of the Aston Martin DB4 Zagato at RMMR this year. The green one was being used not for racing, but for transport around the paddock.

One of my favorites and a legend in its own right, the Porsche 917.

I’ve got two more posts from Monterey coming! Stay tuned.

9 Comments

1. Kevin Dunsky
    Posted August 23, 2012 at 15:19 | #

Dude these are absolutely phenomenal. You have a hell of a talent. I’m not sure why you aren’t shooting for big names if you haven’t already.

• Otis
      Posted August 23, 2012 at 15:22 | #

Thanks for the kind words Kevin! Nothing too big yet, but here’s hoping for the future!

2. Hugo
    Posted August 23, 2012 at 17:54 | #

Awesome photos, any chance you snapped a photo of my Porsche 356B #491?
    thanks

• Otis
      Posted August 23, 2012 at 19:04 | #

Thanks Hugo! I just went through my photos from the day and unfortunately it looks like I didn’t catch your Porsche. With so many amazing cars in one place it’s a little too easy to miss one!

3. Ryan
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 20:43 | #

Amazing photo’s. I love your attention to detail.

4. Steve Walker
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 15:00 | #

Otis, Great shots. I would respectfully add one correction. The 1800Ti is actually a TiSA, one of 200 homologation specials built by BMW in 1965. It is the Grandfather of all M cars and Motorsports racing specials. She’s mine, and I’m pretty proud of her! ;-)

• Otis
      Posted August 31, 2012 at 11:55 | #

Thank you for the correction and the compliment! Your car is beautiful, it really stood out to me.

5. Darren
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 02:53 | #

Love your work!! :)

6. andres
    Posted December 21, 2012 at 09:55 | #

amazing photographies!! what a talent you have!!